You can get legal number plates made from a registered supplier of number plates. Registered suppliers can be found in every region by searching this database https://www.gov.uk/number-plate-supplier and once they are accepted onto the database they are issued with a valid RNPS number; number plate suppliers must fulfill DVLA requirements. However, suppliers require that you provide relevant documents in before being able to manufacture number plates; these documents include:
Documents that prove your name and address.
These documents must be submitted to the supplier in the original form; they include:
- A valid driving license, with or without a photo.
- United Kingdom Passport.
- A utility bill issued within the last six months. Such include Rates bill from your Local Authority, Council Tax and Electricity Bill.
- A bank statement or building society statement issued within the previous six months.
Documents that confirm your name only.
The following documents can be used to confirm your name when buying personalized plates from a supplier:
- Your passport which could have been issued outside the UK.
- A debit or credit card from your bank or building society.
- Identity card from the armed forces.
- Police warrant card.
Documents that prove you can use the registration number.
A registered supplier will also require you to provide the following documents to show that you can use the registration number:
- Certificate of vehicle registration usually V5C or V5CNI
- Certificate of entitlement to the registration number which can be V750 or V750NI
- Green ‘new keeper’ slip from the V5C or V5CNI
- A retention document (V778)
- A renewal reminder for vehicle tax or SORN. This is V11 or V11NI
- Certificate of temporary registration which is V379 or V379NI
- Certificate of number plate authorization (V948) which must be affixed with an official stamp from Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
- Authorization certificate for an electronic number plate (eV948 or Ev948/2)
- Authorization letter from a fleet operator, which includes a lease or hire company. The letter should quote the reference number of the document from the registration certificate
- Certificate of registration for UK trailer (VTRC)
- If your fleet is in the new V5C on-demand scheme, you need to submit a PDF of the vehicle’s details form from the view vehicle records service.
You need to be cautious when planning to have your number plate made up. To acquire legal number plates, be sure to buy from a supplier who carries out all necessary checks on available plates for sale. There are instances where registered owners of personalized number plates are arrested or fined because their cloned plates are involved in crime. JDM Plates are fully licensed to provide number plates within the UK, we print all the legal information onto the plate which is required by law. If a supplier produces a number plate for you without seeing and recording relevant information they are infact breaking the law.